Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Top 11 of 2011 - part one

So, while everyone else is now thinking about 2012, and their resolutions, and breaking their resolutions already, and all that sort of stuff, I am stuck reminiscing about 2011, writing up a post I dreamed up a few weeks ago, when it was still 2011.

I feel like this sort of list is a good way to recap the year because, lucky for me, it was a really good one. It has turned out to be a bigger beast than I first imagined, so here is part one (of three) of my top 11 of 2011. (In chronological order. Because I like things in order.)

11. Trip to Amsterdam, January 2011

DSC03144 DSC03105
DSC03079 DSC03085


Nick and I spent four days in Amsterdam in the first weeks of January, 2011 for no other reason than we found cheap flights on Easyjet. Which is as good a reason to travel as any.

We spent our days wandering around, never needed to catch any public transport, Amsterdam is quite contained. I was stupidly surprised the first time I saw a lady in a window, wondered what she was doing there, until I remembered where I was. It was about 2pm in the afternoon so I feel like I was justified in forgetting.

We visited the Anne Frank House, which was sobering. I read her diary more than a few times as a kid, and actually being where they spent their days hidden away was quite chilling. I bought the uncensored version of her diary from the gift shop (I'd only ever read the child friendly version), and consequently spent the last night of our visit awake until the small hours finishing it.

We went to the Van Gogh museum, ate toasties and drank Chocomel, stayed out of the drizzle in warm bars and cafes. There were lots of cats around, one of them sat in my lap as we drank wine in a bar on the Friday night.

It was, all in all, an excellent way to start the year.

10. First Hanson concert, February 2011

I am not ashamed to admit that I still hold a flame for my first band crush Hanson. I became a huge fan when MMMBop was released in 1997. This should be no surprise as I was 11 at the time, their prime audience. I was helpless, a sucker for those long haired squeaky voiced pre teens. As the years passed, the love dwindled but never disappeared, and when I discovered they were playing a surprise gig at the 100 Club in London, I knew I had to go.

I snuck off work early (but legitimately, I claimed I had a doctors appointment) and joined the surprisingly long line forming on Oxford St outside the club. Some passersby thought it was the line for the bus stop, others who thought to ask looked genuinely shocked by the response.

They were only letting a certain amount of people in, as the club is quite small, and I feared I wouldn't be one of them. I felt I had earned the right to get in. It was cold out there on Oxford St. And you know, the whole fan-for-14-years thing. The never-seen-them-live thing. Get in I did though, and all my preteen dreams came true (well, not all of them. Taylor and my eyes did not meet across the crowded room and we did not elope. But you know what, I'm OK with that).

DSC03267


But yes, they were thrilled to be there, and so was I. They played the perfect mix of their old stuff and their new stuff, and to my surprise and delight, covered Oh Darling by the Beatles. I was also surprised by the number of males there. And I don't just mean those poor suckers who got roped in to attending by their girlfriends. (To be fair, my boyfriend did offer. I just couldn't do that to him. He was relieved.)

A surprisingly and fulfilling night all round. And it turned out to be the first of three times I would see Hanson play in 2011*. 11 year old Lauren is so very jealous of 25 year old Lauren.

09. Weekend in Cambridge, February 2011

Valentine's Day weekend, we caught a train up to Cambridge to get our very own guided tour from our friend Reed who lives and studies there. We got to sneak in to his college and wander around. Saw people punting but didn't do it ourselves. Went in to some sweet old churches, drank cider in sweet old pubs, and generally had a grand old time.

DSC03330 DSC03326
DSC03323 DSC03308


It is always nice to get out of London for a short time, though I don't do it nearly as much as I would like to. Weekends skip past and I get caught up in whatever is happening here in London and forget there is an entire country out there, and that it is very different to this gargantuan city.

08. I turn 25, May 2011

Yes, the dreaded quarter century. When you can no longer fool yourself that you're in your "early twenties". There's no escaping the mid. It was my first birthday away from home, and considering I'd spent most of my last nine** birthdays drunk in various locations around Wellington, it seemed only fitting to move that activity to London.

My birthday was a horrible Monday this year, so the Saturday before, I rustled up some friends and we went to Boho Mexica on Commercial St for dinner (all NZ friends I might add, and one Irish - we really do stick to our own over here). It was a fun time, and I was SURPRISED with birthday cake. Which is always a good surprise.

DSC03566 DSC03577
DSC03580 DSC03575


On my actual birthday, I went to work, and participated in the office tradition of bringing in sweet treats on one's birthday. And then post work, Nick and I went for dinner at my local Asian restaurant - Satay Bar in Brixton - and I got a sweet birthday ring. I've always wanted a ring with my birthstone in it - but as my birthstone is an emerald, the chances are slim. This does the trick very well.

birthday ring
Vintage, 1920s, glass.


Next lot up soon. And I really do mean soon. I want to get this all up before we get too much further in to 2012.

* don't worry, times two and three are not two further entries in my Top 11 of 2011.
** this seemed like a lot, but I counted to be sure. I guess there's no escaping the advancement of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment